Friday, August 5, 2011

Things I Did While My Camera Was Away

I did quite a bit this week, but my camera was camping with the cub scouts, and posts without pictures are really boring, so....  Anyway, here's what I've been up to.

I finally got this guy finished.  I swear, I feel like it's been hanging around forever.  I'm oddly not that fond of it, so it's definitely one for the Etsy shop.  I made it using a Boutique by Moda layer cake. 




The main thing I did that I am so proud of was...

I. Conquered. The. Minky.

Minky is wonderful.  Minky is soft, and silky, and plushy, and  pretty much a must have for baby items.  I decided I would try  new things, and make a couple of these awesome minky blankets for my Etsy shop.  I soon found out,

Minky is awful. What in the blazes is up with this stuff?!   Minky is soft, and silky, and stretchy, and slippery, and fuzzy, and it sheds, and it shreds......So much for just sewing 2 layers of fabrics together, and calling it a day.

I was getting frustrated, but I knew someone out there in internet land surely has figured this stuff out. 
And lo and behold, I found the most helpful tutorial for dealing with Minky.  The only thing I did differently was to use my walking foot.  I figured I have it, might as well use it. 

So I made a few things to also put in the shop...







Sweet little baby things.  Ha!  Take that, Minky!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think your Minky items are lovely! but I know what you mean .... many MANY years ago, I had a go at making a baby hooded towel but I was using STRETCH towelling! and way way back in the old days there was no such thing as a walking foot!! needless to say, the hooded towel remained unfinished and ended up in the rag bag! :-)

    Love the quilt too!

    ReplyDelete